May 8, 2007

I am nervous about my dining options.

I leave for Poland on Thursday. I'm a little nervous about what I will eat.

Today I bought Lonely Planet: Poland, and one of the first things I looked up was "Food & Drink." I'm not a sausage- or saurekraut-eater and I wanted to have an idea of what I would be up against.

The opponent sounds rather formidable.

Here are a few options:
1) nozki w galarecie - jellied pigs' knuckles
2) golonka - boiled pigs' knuckles served with horseradish and sauerkraut
3) flaki - seasoned tripe cooked in bouillon with vegetables
4) carp w galarecie - jellied carp
5) czernina - duck-blood soup

At least they know how to prepare pigs' knuckles in multiple ways. And what's the deal with jellied food?

After reading these things, I wasn't very encouraged. So I looked up some vegetarian options:

1) zapiekanki - a "Polish pizza" consisting of a baguette split in two and topped with melted cheese, chopped mushrooms, and ketchup
2) pierogi - Polish dumplings (I'll probably go for the potato-filled.)
3) placki ziemniaczane - potato fritters (Sounds remarkably safe.)
4) barszcz - red beetroot soup (I wonder if this will provide me with an indefinite lifespan?)
5) kopytka - Polish gnocci (I can definitely do this.)
6) leniwe pierogi - dumpling stuffed with cottage cheese (Ugh.)

Maybe I sound close-minded, but I'm just a little nervous. I think I may have to pack some Power Bars just in case.

No comments: