December 8, 2007

My god, the irony is overwhelming.

One of my favorite things about Facebook is an application you can add called an "Honesty Box." You can send anonymous messages to your friends, and the only thing they know is whether it came from a male or female. I love this little feature.

Yesterday someone left a lovely little message in my honesty box and it really made my day. (A day that needed making, believe me.) After I read that message, I noticed another message left for me on Nov. 5 that I didn't remember. The message said: "Amie, you are lovely and wonderful. It's going to be okay. Hang in there, sweetheart." I thought, "Wow! Who sent that? I wonder how they knew what I needed to hear?"

So I replied to that message to tell whoever sent it that it really meant a lot to me. And then I was startled when a new message immediately popped up in my honesty box.

I got my own reply.

I had completely forgotten that I had sent that message to myself when I was having a really bad day. I even wrote a blog on here that day entitled "The sending of anonymous messages of encouragement to myself."

At first I laughed and felt like an idiot. And then I thought..."Jesus. The comforting words that I needed to hear came from myself..."

Goddammit. I suppose I should probably learn from this.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

i love that story

Beth is wfg said...

That's a lesson we all should learn, eh?