January 19, 2010

"...he had to time his need to reach out to humanity so that it might fall on a Tuesday*..."

Ruben--a beloved work friend--and I just had the most adventurous trip to the bank ever.

To begin with, we managed to pick the peak of the thunderstorm and wind during which to go. His giant golf-size umbrella immediately turned itself inside out. We, of course, found this hysterically funny. After waiting in line at the bank, I was helped by an extremely chatty teller. As he processed my transactions we talked about thunderstorms (love!) and earthquakes (hate!). I told him I was going to think of him the next time we had an earthquake, and he suggested we go out for a drink sometime. Next, Ruben and I went to his bank while his umbrella continued to blow itself inside out and we continued to laugh. On the way back a reporter for the Los Altos Town Crier asked if he could take our picture of us with our umbrellas for a story on storm preparedness.

It's nice to have a little excitement in the middle of the work day.

*Title quote from Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground

No comments: