September 14, 2007

Brainstorming clusters of details

- 1 -

“disappearing” from school
shiny black car with tinted windows at far end of the mall parking lot
Fairmont/Marion County
Vanessa
feeling important
Jelly bracelets
“Billy Jean” and lying that I like Michael Jackson
disappointment at what older girls talked about
a longing for tacos
hierarchy among women
cement lot
flat sound of attempting to bounce a basketball without enough air
kids’ diapers that weren’t changed often enough
the same stars are over my grandparents’ house
pictures of bruises
he’s gone
waiting on edge for him to show up again
letters to a confidante


- 2 -

whiskey and sprite
the smell of cigarettes and hair oil
fingernails black and blue from being hit with a hammer
Westerns
“What was it like when the world was blue and grey?”
the removal of watermelon seeds
watching me eat strawberries
knees creaking on the stairs
“Pay attention to me.”
“I’ll squeeze you to pieces you mices.”
Baby and cat-bird
“You’re going to eat me out of house and home.”
Combing his hair
coffee in Bonanza cups
“My heart cries for you” / the world’s smallest violin
talking to my barbies on the phone
giving me a “guy’s perspective” when I was 12 / “weenie”
Italian wedding soup
a quiet strength
the look in his eyes when he lost
I regret that I was afraid


- 3 -

Sneaking out
Sneaking in
Sitting down for a meal
“I give up” / "I will never be in love"
an 8 hour phone conversation
first vicarious impressions of California
“river style” vs “ocean style”
“Forever your girl”
the glow of the red digital numbers on the alarm clock radio
October 3-4, 1992
Neck up / below the waist
Praying for him to look away from me
disappointing
The day after
Feeling different, emptier somehow
“you don’t seem very happy about it”

No comments: