December 15, 2008

Kindess

I lost my wallet for the second time this year--I don't even want to talk about the extent of my absent-mindedness--and I'm still waiting for my ATM card to show up. This has been a huge pain in the ass.

A few nights ago I hadn't had any dinner and the bank was already closed and my card still hadn't come. I went to the grocery story with only a few dollars on me and was trying to be very careful about how much I spent. I went over the amount I had by twenty cents. I was embarrassed and asked the lady who was checking me out to put an item back. She said, "Don't you worry, honey," and reached into her pocket and pulled out two dimes. I protested that she didn't need to do that, that she couldn't possibly make a habit of that. She winked at me and continued completing my transaction. I was so touched. I thanked her profusely. It was one of those moments that makes you feel a little better about the world.

A couple days later I made another trip to the store and the same lady who'd loaned me the money checking me out. I said, "You loaned me twenty cents the other night and it was so sweet of you--I'd like to return it to you now."

She looked confused. "I did?" I handed her two dimes and smiled. "Well, that was pretty nice of me," she said laughing and accepted my two dimes. "Yes, it was," I agreed. "I really appreciated it."

"No problem, honey," she responded. "You have a great day."

No comments: