February 3, 2008

"Filling jars full of silence you'll get nowhere."

I had a dream just before I woke up this morning that I want to remember.

In my dream, Nannette and I were on vacation again. We weren't in the Dominican Republic this time; it was more like a cruise ship and there were pools on multiple decks.

I was carrying this log around with me. It was about two feet long and pretty big around--like a log you'd split up into 3-4 pieces for firewood. It was big and obvious, and yet I tried really hard not to draw attention to the fact that I was carrying it around with me. I didn't want anyone to yell at me for having it, and I also didn't want them laughing and pointing, "Hey, look at that girl carrying the giant log around!"

It was so heavy. It made my arms tired. Its rough bark chafed my skin. My hands hurt from trying to grip it.

I took it everywhere we went: to the dining room, to the pool, in the water, to the bar. I was terrified that if I left it behind and tried to go and enjoy myself, someone would take it away.

Once I very reluctantly laid it in a lounge chair so that I could swim unencumbered, but that turned out terribly. I was so obsessed with keeping an eye on it and looking back at it and making sure that no one came near it that I couldn't have any fun at all.

I was terrified of being without it.

1 comment:

momo said...

from the dream dictionary:

The closest I could find to a log is a tree....

Tree
The tree in your dream is you. The health, size and overall quality of the tree is indicative of how you feel about yourself. This interpretation is to be made only when the tree is the focal point of the dream. Also, consider whether the tree is alive with leaves, flowers or fruit, or if it's barren. You may see trees in your dream as a part of a landscape or as a secondary symbol. At those times, consider all of the details as they may have different interpretations than the one just given.