February 8, 2008

The quotable Emily Watson

Early this morning I woke up worrying: what do you do when the two people you used to tell everything to are no longer interested or no longer around? When writing and talking to them have become an integral part of the way you process things, how do you go about changing?

I started looking for anything to distract me. I came across a bunch of quotes about plans that I had bookmarked in my computer for unrecalled reasons at some point. There was a quote by Emily Watson, and then there was a link to more quotes by her. I found this sort of odd and thought, 'Are we quoting Emily Watson now?' Anyway, I wanted something--anything--so I started reading the quotes that were attributed to her. Most were unremarkable, but then I came across this one:

"The film "Punch-Drunk Love is how you see the world when you're in love. You don't see someone's psychological baggage necessarily, you see the person walking out of the light."

I thought this was the loveliest thing and it hit a nerve with me. It was also quite appropriate because I haven't seen this movie yet and a couple different people have emphasized that I need to quite recently.

I found another quote by Emily that was also lovely and personal to me. This one was about coming home and spending time with her husband in between movies:

"When I did get home this last time, we had all these plans to go out. And then we hardly stepped outside because the time together seemed too precious."

And then I started pricing plane tickets.

No comments: