April 10, 2008

Hell's bells and cockleshells...

...I'm old.

On Facebook I just found the little girl, Tess, for whom I used to babysit when she was five. She's a woman now!

But now I have to tell a story about her.

I started babysitting for Charlie and Tess, who lived next door to me, when I was a mere 13 years old. Since I was still a kid myself, we had a lot of fun together. One of our favorite activities was making "sandwiches" out of each other using the giant couch cushions as buns, and small throw pillows, Easter grass, and whatever else we could find as condiments (pickles and lettuce, respectively).

One night I had taken my glasses off and was rubbing my eyes while Charlie and Tess wrestled on the couch. Tess's hand and slipped between the couch cushions and she found something. "What's this?" she asked.

Charlie saw what she'd picked up and yelled, "Tess! Put it back! Put it back!" She started giggling.

"Let me see," I said, reaching out my hand and putting my glasses back on. Tess held in her hand a bright purple vibrator. My hand immediately retreated and I said, "I think you should just put it back where you found it."

"I know what it is..." she teased mischievously.

"What is it?" I asked.

"An electric wee-wee," Tess announced. Charlie covered his face and moaned, "Tess, put it back!" She obediently replaced the vibrator between the couch cushions.

"Now go wash your hands," I instructed.

No comments: