July 25, 2008

Um, I got a second job.

I know, I know! It's getting ridiculous. I have been teaching part-time at San Francisco State in the Human Sexuality Studies department. This fall I will be teaching an evening Quantitative Methods course (basically, statistics) in the Sociology department.

You may wonder why I accepted this second position. I'm glad you asked. This is why:

1. I love, love, love teaching statistics. It's easier to tell if you're doing a good job than it is in other classes. If even one of my students can't do a one-way ANOVA, I know it immediately. It's much harder to be able to tease out whether each and every one of them grasps the more theoretical constructs of the other courses, like, "In what ways did footbinding serve to maintain the patriarchy in China for nearly a thousand years?"

2. I need the money, fools. I ain't wealthy or anything. I've got a trip to Europe with Nannette to pay for in a few months. And the car that I need to buy. And the iPod adapter thingy that I'll need to enjoy my music during my commute. And--don't forget--I need to pay for those pole-dancing lessons and more bikini wax jobs from the infamous Vietnamese waxer-lady, Penney.

3. It's good to have a bit of a back-up plan. While I'm excited about my new full-time job, you just never know. When they find out I do things like take pictures of public bathroom stalls, they might be a little alarmed. I don't want to burn all my other bridges.

Huzzah!

3 comments:

I'm just me... said...

Congrats again on the job-s! It never hurts to have a back-up plan! Besides, noone would want to see you give up the pole dancing lessons and bikini waxes.

By the way- the whole foot binding thing in China kinda freaks me out. I've seen pictures. Why would you do that to yourself!!??

? said...

Me and statistics just dont mix, that is why I got a BA and opted for 2 years of college french...parlez-vous francais?

Yannie said...

What about the thing in the terderloin?